St John the Evangelist, Green Lanes

St John's Church Green Lanes

The red brick and flint St John’s is one of the most imposing buildings in Palmers Green and stands on the corner of Green Lanes and Bourne Hill. Although the foundation stone of St John’s was laid in October 1903, the building was not completed in full until 1908 – the church’s website claims that those with eagle eyes can still spot the join between the first part of the church and later additions. The architect was Oldrid Scott, who also designed the front of Hereford Cathedral (and was the son of the builder of Southgate Church), and the land provided by Vyell Edward Walker of the famous cricketing family of Arnos Grove.  The tower is 102 feet high http://stjohnspalmersgreen.org/history/

Leave a Reply