Firs Farm was to the east of Firs Lane – just north of the present day Fairway. The farmhouse was built in 1720 by a Mrs Childs. Alan Dumayne tells us it was ‘a tall building with a mansard roof’, and that the land had once been owned by the Dean and Chapter of St Pauls.
The lands of Firs Farm extended to the north and east. On the farm’s demolition in 1927, part of the land became housing (presumably Rayleigh Road and Harlow Road) and the rest, sports grounds. The name of the farm is remembered in Firs Farm Primary School.