Palmers Green Baptist Church, Green Lanes
The history of the Baptists in Palmers Green began with the establishment of a non denominational mission in Hazelwood Lane by wood engraver John Knight and his wife in 1878 in the two cottages which later became known as the Pilgrim’s Rest. The Mission outgrew its premises as the population of Palmers Green grew and a new arts and crafts style red brick church was built in 1905 next to Pymmes Brook on Green Lanes, just south of Palmerston Road. (The old Hazelwood Lane premises were then taken over by the Congregational Church, who similarly quickly outgrew them, leading to the building of the Congregational Church on the corner of Fox Lane and Burford Gardens). A picture from the 1930s in Bernard Byrom’s Old Southgate and Palmers Green shows an art deco ‘peace panel’ next to the church, at the front of the church garden, which contained posters on the folly of war.