Christ Church, Southgate
Not in Palmers Green, but nearby and too wonderful not to mention, Christchurch was built in 1862 replacing the wooden Weld Chapel which had been built in 1615 and much extended. Prior to the building of the Weld, the needs of Southgate and environs small but growing community had been served by the ancient All Saints Church in Edmonton several miles away.
The present church was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott (father of Oldrid Scott who built St John’s in Palmers Green) but the real feature is the spectacular stained glass windows by William Morris’s firm Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co. There are designs by William Morris himself, Edward Burne Jones and Dante Gabriel Rossetti. The church usually offers talks and tours as part of the Southgate May Day Fair.
Quakers Meeting House, Winchmore Hill
The Quakers came early to Winchmore Hill – there is evidence of Quaker worship in the area in the 1650s, the first decade of Quakerism as a religious grouping. The current building dates from 1790. In the tranquil graveyard are members of the Barclay family of bankers, and Luke Howard, who developed much of the modern system of cloud classification. The Meeting House often takes part in September’s Open House event and members of the congregation are happy to talk about the history of Quakers in the area and their beliefs. http://www.winchmorehillquakers.org.uk/
All Saints Church Street Edmonton
All Saints is the oldest church in the immediate area, with parts dating from the 11th century, though much of the Norman church was lost in 15th century rebuilding, and the building was encased in brick in the 19th century. Charles and Mary Lamb, who lived in Edmonton for some of their turbulent lives, are buried in the churchyard.