C A Phillips art shop and picture framers is finally to close after 94 years in the same family.
The business was founded by Arthur Phillips when he was demobilised after the Great War in 1918. He specialised in picture framing and gradually expanded the business to incorporate artists materials.
After the Second World War, Clifford Phillips – the C A in the business name – took over, continuing much as before but adding graphics products to cater for the advertising boom.
Vernon Phillips entered the business during the 70’s and since then the company has specialised in artist’s materials, picture framing, restoration of oil paintings and antique frames, as well as stocking graphic art supplies, craft materials and technical drawing products.
W H Smith’s aside, only funeral director Seawards has remained continually in business – and at the same location – for as long.
Vernon Phillips had hoped that the business would continue after his retirement and the lease had been up for sale for 2 years. Unfortunately there have been no takers, and C A Phillips is due to close its doors for the last time in June. The care and expert advice of Vernon and his team will be sadly missed.
All images reproduced by kind permission of Vernon Phillips http://www.ca-phillips.co.uk/
One reply on “Palmers Green institution to close after 94 years”
Post Office closed for refurbishment: the Post Office on Green Lanes is closed for some weeks which will be a nuisance for many people. Customers are directed to Cannon Hill or Chequers Way POs until some time in February.