Palmers Green United Reformed Church, Fox Lane/Burford Gardens

As with the Baptists, though a few years later, the first home of the Congregational Church in Palmers Green was in Hazelwood Lane, in the two cottages which later became known as the Pilgrims Rest. Like the Baptists, the Congregationalists quickly found that their place of worship was no longer big enough to accommodate the growing population, and in 1908 it was agreed that a suitable site should be purchased for a new church. The church hall came first, completed in September 1909. Building of the church began in 1913, and was completed two months after the outbreak of the First World War. In 1972 there was a national merger between the Congregationalists and the Presbyterians to create the United Reformed Church. Palmers Green United Reformed Church now brings together the former Presbyterian congregations of St Georges church, which stood on the corner of St George’s Road and Fox Lane and was demolished in 1980, St James at Bowes, and that of the original Congregational Church.  For more about the church visit http://www.palmersgreenurc.org.uk/index.html

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

+ 66 = 75